St. Vincent House
The town hall is only a few minutes walk from St. Vincent House. It was built in 1900 and Sir George Newnes, who was responsible for constructing the unusual stone and wooden building, wanted the hall to be “……a source of instruction and recreative pleasure, not only to the present inhabitants but to future generations.”
The site of Sir George Newnes’ Hollerday House can be found in the woods accessed by the road beside the Town Hall. After facing financial difficulties Sir George died in the house which was mysteriously burned to the ground three years after his death.
The cliff railway links Lynton to Lynmouth. The water-
The museum, St. Vincent’s Cottage, is next door to St. Vincent Guest House and is open from Easter to the end of October. It is probably the oldest domestic building and the museum is full of interesting local historical items, including old engravings and paintings, a Victorian doll’s house and agricultural implements from Exmoor farms.
Lynton is proud of its wide screen cinema. It has recently been digitised and it is manned by volunteers. For only £5 a ticket, a great programme of the latest films can be seen.
Lynton is an attractive little town which has a variety of shops, gift shops and a craft centre. There are three public houses and several restaurants and cafes.
Queens Street Lynton